Thursday, July 4, 2013

But for Cairo????

If you will permit me a slight digression from my upcoming trip to Birmingham, I can't help but offer some thoughts about events in Egypt over the last several days.  I have had the privilege of teaching several Egyptian students over the past few years.  They and their families are Coptic Christians, which make up about 10% of Egypt's population.  I have been in touch with two of them in the last 24 hours--both are thrilled over the removal of President Morsi. One of them helped organize a demonstration supporting the removal of Morsi this past Sunday at the UN and is "beyond ecstatic."
As I watched the live video feed on Al Jazeera English (a great website for news, by the way http://www.aljazeera.com/# ) yesterday I was moved and troubled.  On the left of the split screen was a scene of unbelievable jubilation; on the right was a scene of pure anger. I watched in amazement as a general, flanked by the Coptic Pope and the Grand Sheikh of Al-Azhar University (an ancient seat of Muslim learning in Egypt) announced the suspension of the constitution and the desire to move towards a new government. I listened to Mohamed ElBaredai announce the relaunching of the Egyptian Arab revolution. I "marveled" at CNN talking to all the "former" government players in Washington DC who in their collective wisdom were able to tell us that the President is meeting with advisers all day.  And, a very random thought--I couldn't help but think of Ancient Egypt, the nation that enslaved God's people, and yet was used as God's instrument to grow his people and prepare them for delivery.
Finally, although I thoroughly enjoy summer vacation as a teacher, I wish that I could be with my students now, helping them to see the bigger issues and struggle with the questions they have.

And then I thought, maybe this isn't such a digression from my Birmingham workshop after all.  Consider that a minority of Americans, who had been denied a voice, were challenging the white power structure in the most segregated city in America in 1963. Consider that they faced great danger in so doing.  Consider that high school students walked out of schools to join marches, and face dogs and fire hoses.  All in the name of freedom.

I don't pretend to know what will happen next in Egypt.  I pray for peace--those two side by side video feeds are caught in my mind--the potential for civil war and terrible violence. I pray that the families of my Coptic students will be able to enjoy freedom to worship in a heavily Muslim country.
I would love to hear what you have to say about the events in Egypt.
Stay tuned for some thoughts about the other book, While the World Watched, I read in preparation for the workshop.  Maybe I'll post that tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment